The Undersecretary Franco Gabrielli as the delegated authority for the security of the Republic, it signed the decree appointing the 9 members of Scientific Technical Committee of the Agency. Nine experts in the field of emerging technologies who have distinguished themselves in the spread and culture of cybersecurity whose choice was shared with the top committee of theACN.
The last time Gabrielli had addressed the subject – during the presentation of the National Cybersecurity Strategy – he had joked about it, recalling the requests and phone calls that came from all over to join this committee that will now have a lot to do in to recover the ground already covered by the European counterparts, better financed and with a workforce 10 times higher as in the case of France and Germany.
But in the meantime another step has been taken. The Committee of Nine Wise Men, chaired by the Director General of the ACN, as required by the law establishing the Agency and the related organization and functioning regulations, will carry out consultancy and proposal functions, free of charge, and is aimed at promoting collaboration with the university and research system and with the national production system.
Italy has a national cyber security strategy
by Arturo Di Corinto
The four representatives for the world of industry are Domitilla Benigni, president of Electronics, Franco Ongaro Chief Technology & Innovation Officer of Leonardo, Massimo Enrico Proverbio, Chief IT Digital & Innovation Officer of Intesa Sanpaolo SpA, Paolo Dal Cin, Global Lead of Accenture Security . The four representatives of the research institutions and the academy are Marco Conti, Director of the Institute of Informatics and Telematics of the National Research Council, Alessandro Curioni, Global Research VP IBM in Security and in Future of computing IBM; Paola Severino, Vice President of the LUISS Guido Carli University, Donatella Sciuto Deputy Vice Rector of the Milan Polytechnic and finally Andrea Chittaro, pro tempore President of the Italian Association of Corporate Security Professionals (AIPSA) as an expression of the world of associations.
The committee, which also includes the top management of the ACN, will make its contribution to supporting public-private initiatives in the field of cybersecurity and to ensure the implementation of the 82 measures envisaged by the National Strategy for Cybersecurity 2022-2026 adopted by the President of the Council on May 17, 2022.
Considered among the leading Italian experts in the design, implementation and management of technological, industrial and scientific research and development projects, in the fields of quantum computing, artificial intelligence and robotics, cryptography, the Internet of Things, networks and of software, they also have an important background in the areas of training and qualification of human resources, promotion and dissemination of the culture of cybersecurity.
Duties and occupations of the nominees
Here are in detail the offices and occupations of the nominees. Representing the operating industry in the Agency’s fields of activity, including small and medium-sized enterprises:
1. Domitilla Benigni – Chief Executive Officer of Elettronica SpA and President of Cy4Gate SpA. Domitilla is also a founding member, together with 30 other European key players, of the Women4Cyber Foundation and has been indicated by the Forbes and SC Media magazines among the 50 most influential European women on cybersecurity;
2. Paolo Dal Cin – Global Lead of Accenture Security, a role in which he coordinates over 16,000 cybersecurity experts. Paolo, who joined Accenture in 2003, subsequently led Accenture’s cybersecurity business units in Italy, Central Europe and Latin America. In May 2022 he also became a member of Accenture’s Global Management Committee;
3. Massimo Enrico Proverbio – Chief IT Digital & Innovation Officer of Intesa Sanpaolo SpA. In this role, Massimo is responsible for the innovation, data governance and development of the group’s information technology, cybersecurity and operations. In April 2021 Massimo joins the Advisory Committee for the digital PA for the Italian government;
4. Franco Ongaro – Chief Technology & Innovation Officer of the Leonardo SpA group. Ongaro has held various positions in the strategic programs of the European Space Agency up to the position of Director of Technology, Engineering and Quality & Head of Establishment.
Doubts about Kaspersky
Alarm from the Cybersecurity Agency: “Beware of Russian software”
by Arturo Di Corinto
Representing the university and research system:
1. Marco Conti – Director of the Institute of Informatics and Telematics of the National Research Council and head of the Registry.it. Marco was included in the list compiled by Web of Science which includes the top 1% of researchers for the most cited articles in the sectors of telecommunications networks and social networks;
2. Alessandro Curio – IBM Fellow, Vice-President Europe and Africa as well as Director of the IBM Research Laboratory in Zurich and IBM Global Research VP in Security and Future of computing. Alessandro is an international authority in the field of high-performance computing and computational science. He received the Gordon Bell Prize in 2013 and 2015. His current research focuses on AI and quantum computing;
3. Paola Severino – Professor emeritus, Vice President of the Luiss Guido Carli University and President of the National School of Administration. In addition to the position of President of the scientific committee of the National Recovery and Resilience Plan, established at the Ministry of University and Research, Professor Severino was among the first researchers who studied the ethical issues of AI and the international legal implications of cybersecurity;
4. Donatella Sciuto – Full Professor of Computer Engineering at the Politecnico di Milano, as well as Vice Rector since 2015 with responsibility for research. In addition to a long research activity in the design of dedicated digital systems, with particular attention to performance and safety issues, Professor Sciuto is a member of the boards of directors of STMicroelectronics and the Italian Institute of Technology.
As an exponent of associations in the security sector of strategic companies in the country:
1. Andrea Chittaroas pro tempore President of the Italian Association of Corporate Security Professionals (AIPSA), on the basis of professional skills and representing the over 800 companies and people operating in the various specialist areas of company security.
The issues that may be submitted to the committee
Issues relating to the development of skills, innovation, participation in national and international cybersecurity programs and projects, communication and promotion of awareness on cybersecurity, training and qualification of human resources, as well as issues relating to the National Center for coordination in cybersecurity.