(ANSA) – ROME, OCTOBER 14 – The World Health Organization has created a team of 26 experts to relaunch the investigations on the origins of Covid-19. According to Michael Ryan, WHO director of emergencies, this could be “the last chance to understand the origins of this virus” collectively, reports the Guardian.
WHO announced earlier this year that it would set up a scientific advisory group on the origins of new pathogens (Sago). According to Maria Van Kerkhove, WHO technical manager. scientists will urgently assess what was known, what still remained unknown, and what needed to be done quickly. “I predict that the Sago … will recommend further studies in China and potentially elsewhere,” said De Kerkhove, stressing that “there is no time to waste on this.” On Wednesday, Chen Xu, China‘s ambassador to the United Nations in Geneva, said Sago’s work should not be “politicized”.
“If teams are sent to other places, I believe it will not be in China because we have already received international teams twice,” he said. “Time to send teams to other places.”
In August, China rejected WHO requests for a renewed field investigation into the origins of Covid-19.
news-copy”>breaking latest news © Copyright ANSA