Home » Work and Travel or year abroad: This is what you should consider | > – Guide

Work and Travel or year abroad: This is what you should consider | > – Guide

by admin
Work and Travel or year abroad: This is what you should consider |  > – Guide

As of: April 17, 2024 3:11 p.m

From international health insurance to visas: If you want to go abroad for a longer period of time after school, you have a lot to organize. Tips and advice on the so-called gap year.

Seeing the world, getting to know new cultures, deepening language skills and gaining exciting experiences: This is what many young people in Germany hope to achieve from a stay abroad – and after graduating from school they decide to take a break before starting training or studying. But if you want to stay abroad for longer than just a few weeks of vacation, there are a few things you have to consider. What should you consider when moving? What documents and insurance are required? What happens to current contracts in Germany? How should the finances be regulated? The Hamburg Consumer Center provides answers to these questions.

Online checklist for your stay abroad

The consumer advocates offer an interactive checklist that covers all important topics related to rent, money, contracts, health and authorities. It provides a quick and comprehensive overview of the necessary to-dos for your stay abroad, so that nothing important is forgotten. The free online offer also provides legal information and shows savings options and cost traps. The Hamburg consumer advice center provides all information online.

Free online lectures on the topic of staying abroad

On May 13th, 15th and 16th, 2024, the consumer advice centers are also offering three free online lectures to prepare for a stay abroad. Those interested receive tips for planning work and travel, au pairing, language trips or volunteer work. All dates and registration links are on the central page of the nationwide “Focus Week Goals. New Ways. After School.” in the paragraph “Going abroad: how to prepare?” to find.

See also  Health surveillance, indications from the Region to all Local Health Authorities on risk prevention and management activities - Health

Visa, insurance, credit card: you should take care of that

The gap year abroad should be prepared well in advance and well in advance. Whether it’s about official papers, vaccinations, insurance or financial matters – what exactly needs to be done depends on the location abroad, the age of the traveler and the planned activities in the country. You should definitely take care of these topics:

A view: If you want to stay and work abroad for a longer period of time, you need a visa in many countries. The Foreign Office provides information about the entry requirements of the countries and embassies responsible for the applications.
Health insurance: If you are staying for a longer period of time, you should take out health insurance for the respective country for the duration of the trip. In the event of illness, it should also include the transport costs for returning to Germany. If you travel through an organization, they will often do the closing. Anyone planning and organizing a stay abroad in the EU should clarify with their health insurance company which health services are reimbursed and over which period of time in the respective European country. Although statutory insurance coverage also applies in other European countries, additional international health insurance with repatriation makes sense. Those with private health insurance should contact their insurer; they may offer their own insurance cover in the form of a premium surcharge.

Further information

Sick on vacation: This is often a problem abroad. The most important tips for finding a doctor, sick leave and vacation days. more

See also  Cinema tip: "Back to black" - ten out of ten for Amy Winehouse

Liability insurance: Private liability insurance is one of the most important types of insurance. Especially when people are injured, the person responsible can face claims for damages running into the millions. Children are usually insured with their parents, but this can change depending on their age or other circumstances. You should therefore check carefully whether you still have coverage through family insurance and whether the protection applies worldwide and for a longer period of time. If necessary, you must take out your own liability insurance.
Vaccinations and medications: Allow enough time for vaccinations. The Federal Foreign Office provides information about which is necessary for each travel country. Tip for your stay: Take a first aid kit with you and know your own blood type. Anyone taking medication should carry a corresponding certificate from the treating doctor in English or in the local language.
Account and credit card: Within Europe, a current account can usually continue to be used. However, it may make sense to also set up an account abroad in order to be able to carry out banking transactions cost-effectively. Be sure to clarify with the bank in advance which services can be used abroad and under what conditions. When it comes to credit cards in particular, the details of the conditions are important, as there are sometimes significant differences, especially when it comes to costs. Therefore, choose a checking and credit card that does not incur fees with every payment.
mobile phone contract: There are no roaming fees within the EU, which means that making calls costs as much as in Germany. However, the provider may charge additional fees if you primarily make calls on a foreign network. However, he must inform about surcharges in advance. In non-European countries, using the German mobile phone contract is usually out of the question because it is too expensive. It is therefore advisable to buy a prepaid card on site. If necessary, have the cell phone contract canceled or deactivated. The latter is usually only possible with proof of your stay abroad, such as a certificate of study for a semester abroad. The mobile phone provider provides information about the conditions.
International driving licence: The German driving license is usually recognized in the EU member states. More detailed information can be found on the Federal Foreign Office website under the travel information for the respective country. In non-European countries, an international driving license must be applied for at the place of residence. It is only valid together with the national driving license.

See also  Jeff Bezos: How to Run Businesses and Manage a Team

Further information

If you become ill shortly before departure or in the hotel, you need the right insurance. The consumer advice center also gives tips on this. more

This topic in the program:

the northern story | Oct 27, 2023 | 8:15 p.m

Keywords for this article


You may also like

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy