The incident with Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai has progressed further. A reporter from the official China Global Television Network (CGTN) reposted several photos of Peng Shuai. One of them was holding a cat with many dolls behind it.
When reposting the photos on Twitter, China Global Television Network reporter Shen Shiwei said that these photos are the latest photos shared by Peng Shuai’s friends and screenshots of Peng Shuai’s WeChat Moments. He also said that Peng Shuai wrote “Happy Weekend” in the post.
“Global Times” editor-in-chief Hu Xijin pointed out when reprinting the photos that he can confirm through his own data sources that the photos are indeed the latest situation of Peng Shuai. Hu Xijin also said that Peng Shuai “stayed freely in her own home for the past few days, and she didn’t want to be harassed.”
“She will show up in public soon and take part in some activities.”
However, the photos still arouse doubts. Some online comments pointed out that in the current cold weather in Beijing, even if the indoor heating is turned on, it is still impossible for ordinary people to dress as thin as Peng Shuai in the photo.
On November 3, Peng Shuai accused the 75-year-old former Politburo Standing Committee member of the CPC Central Committee and Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli of forcing him to have sex on his verified account on Weibo, a Chinese social platform. She admitted in the article that she was unable to produce evidence to substantiate her allegations. Her posts were quickly blocked, and since then, she has not appeared publicly again, and her name has also been blocked on multiple social platforms.
Many governments and international organizations continue to speak out on Peng Shuai’s incident. US White House spokesperson Jen Psaki called on the Chinese authorities to provide independent and verifiable evidence on Peng Shuai’s latest situation at a regular press conference on Friday (November 19) to prove whether she is safe.
Steve Simon, president of the International Women’s Tennis Association (WTA), said that if they do not get proof that Peng Shuai is still safe, the association will not hold any tournaments in China next year.
Simon said in an interview with the BBC that this is about “right and wrong things, the association will not compromise.”
Chinese state media earlier published a screenshot of an email sent by Peng Shuai to Simon, claiming that he was safe, but the outside world generally questioned the authenticity of the email and asked Chinese officials to produce more evidence.
In an email issued by the Chinese state media CGTN, a person claiming to be Peng Shuai wrote in English that she was not missing or in distress, and said, “I just stay at home all the time and everything is fine.” She also said that she was accused of being her. The allegations of sexual assault made are false.
The outside world noticed that although the official said the email was addressed to Simon, the email starts with “Hello everyone”, and there is a typing cursor in the screenshot, which is more like a screenshot of an editing software, showing that this email may not have been written by Peng Shuai himself. write.
The spokesperson of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been asked about Peng Shuai’s incident at regular press conferences for several days, but the spokesperson has refused to respond on the grounds of not knowing the incident. Spokesperson Zhao Lijian said at the press conference on Friday that the Peng Shuai incident was “not a diplomatic issue, and I don’t know the relevant situation.”
Canadian Dick Pound (Dick Pound), the oldest member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), also said that as Peng Shuai’s incident develops globally, the International Olympic Committee may have to discuss China’s human rights issues with Beijing. The authorities confronted each other.
In an interview with Reuters, he said that the Beijing Winter Olympic Games to be held next year will not be cancelled because of this, but “you will never know.”
The International Olympic Committee has not made a direct statement on the Peng Shuai incident, only saying that “behind the scenes diplomatic operation” is the most likely to resolve the situation.