Home » Manchester United beat Coventry City on penalties and reached the FA Cup final

Manchester United beat Coventry City on penalties and reached the FA Cup final

by admin
Manchester United beat Coventry City on penalties and reached the FA Cup final

Apr 21, 2024, 1:50 p.m. ET

Manchester United suffered much more than expected to beat Coventry City in the second semi-final of the FA Cup: the Red Devils, who dominated and won 3-0, allowed the comeback of the team from the second category of English football that tied them 3-3 to take the match to extra time and They needed a penalty shootout to qualify at the endin which they will face Manchester City, Chelsea winner.

Rasmus Hojlund and André Onana, protagonists of Manchester United’s qualification for the FA Cup final. Getty Images

Those led by Erik ten Hag had shown the difference in hierarchy until the 60th minute, when they dominated the development of the game and beat their rival 3-0. However, they retreated too much and the Division Championship team fought back against the giant until they achieved the feat of tying the match.

ESPN on Star+ arrived in Latin America!

All ESPN content can be enjoyed via streaming with Star+. Subscribe NOW.

Editorial Selections

What’s more, Coventry City had opportunities to win in extra time, but a shot that hit the crossbar and a key VAR intervention to annul a goal due to offside denied them the miracle.

The penalty shootout began with a soft shot to the middle by Casemiro that goalkeeper Bradley Collins stopped without problems. Manchester United’s strength was crumbling. But André Onana, with the series 2-1 in favor of Coventry City, stopped Collum O’Hare’s shot and revived the hope of the Red Devils. Bruno Fernandes converted calmly, Benjamin Sheaf threw it over the crossbar and Rasmus Højlund completed United’s 4-2 victory with a cross execution.

Thus, Manchester United once again advanced to the FA Cup final and will face Manchester City again, just like in the 2022/2023 season. The Red Devils will seek revenge in the derby, since Pep Guardiola’s men won the decisive duel of last season 2-1.

United will go in search of their 13th FA Cup title, a trophy they have not lifted since the 2015/2016 season.

Manchester United’s dominance

Without despair, Manchester United attacked, especially from the sides, until they gained the advantage. First, Alejandro Garnacho came close to scoring, but he couldn’t connect with a header from Bruno Fernandes. Marcus Rashford then received a long pass from Casemiro and came face to face with goalkeeper Bradley Collins, but his shot went wide.

Until at 23 minutes United made the difference in the game in the result. Scott McTominay opened the scoring after a very good collective construction: Garnacho teamed up with Diogo Dalot on the right and the Portuguese full-back found the Scottish midfielder, who entered the center of the area and finished comfortably.

For added comfort, just before the long break, Harry Maguire headed in a precise corner kick from Bruno Fernandes and extended the lead. That partial 2-0 predicted a calm outlook for Manchester United.

At the beginning of the second half, the Red Devils changed their intentions: they no longer attacked, but waited to react. That formula paid good dividends because in the 58th minute, Fernandes found space in the area thanks to his skill and his shot at goal bounced off Bobby Thomas to dislodge the goalkeeper. The end of the story seemed written.

Coventry City reaction

Manchester United gave up even more ground and forgot to control the ball. He assumed that the three goal difference on the scoreboard was enough. But Coventry City brought out his pride.

In the 71st minute, Ellis Simms marked the path to recovery for Coventry City. The center forward scored first after a pass from Fábio Tavares, inflated the net and lit the flame of hope. Thus he reached 6 goals in this Fa Cup and rose to the top of the scoring table.

Fortune was on Coventry’s side, completely installed in the rival field. Collum O’Hare shot at the goal, the ball deflected off Aaron Wan-Bissaka and in the 79th minute the team led by Mark Robins reduced the difference to just one goal.

There was still time for Coventry to attempt the feat. Not only time, but the conditions were also in place because Manchester United gave him the ball and he only dedicated himself to enduring the result.

And the miraculous tie came: Wan-Bissaka could not avoid touching the ball with his hand, referee Robert Jones awarded a penalty and Haji Wright converted it into a goal for the 3-3 score that took the game to extra time.

The little boy’s enthusiasm for taking down the giant led Coventry City to keep trying. Sims hit the crossbar with a shot 25 minutes into extra time and Victor Torp put on his superhero suit to celebrate the agonizing winning goal, but his victory was annulled by a pinpoint offside by Wright, who had enabled the Dane.

See also  Connecticut witches acquitted, 370 years after their death sentence

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy