Real Madrid striker Benzema was sentenced to 1 year probation for conspiracy to commit blackmail and attempted extortion
CCTV News Client reported on the 24th local time that French football forward Benzema was sentenced in a misdemeanor court in Versailles near Paris on suspicion of attempted extortion. The court found Benzema guilty of related crimes and sentenced him to a one-year imprisonment suspended execution and a fine of 75,000 euros. Agence France-Presse quoted Benzema’s lawyer as reporting that Benzema will appeal the verdict.
The case was heard in the Misdemeanor Court of Versailles from October 20 to 22 local time. However, Benzema himself was unable to appear in court due to the schedule of the game, both during the trial and on the day of the sentencing. The prosecution said in previous sentencing submissions that as a football star, Benzema should play an exemplary role in moral values.
Benzema is currently playing for Real Madrid Club in La Liga and is considered one of the best forwards in football. After being involved in a blackmail case against his national teammate Valbuena in November 2015, Benzema has been missed by the national team and therefore missed the 2016 European Cup in France and the 2018 World Cup in Russia. Race. It was not until May of this year that Deschamps, the head coach of the French national men’s football team, put Benzema back into the 26-man squad to prepare for the European Cup.
Earlier this month, the French Football Association said that if Benzema was sentenced for this case, he would still not be excluded from the selection of the national team. (Headquarters reporter Zou Heyi)