Home » Borrell asked EU countries to intensify support for Ukraine in the face of Russian aggression: “It is a decisive moment”

Borrell asked EU countries to intensify support for Ukraine in the face of Russian aggression: “It is a decisive moment”

by admin
Borrell asked EU countries to intensify support for Ukraine in the face of Russian aggression: “It is a decisive moment”

EU Foreign and Security Affairs Chief Urges Member States to Step Up Support for Ukraine Amid Russian Aggression

The High Representative of the European Union for Foreign and Security Affairs, Josep Borrell, has called on EU countries to intensify their support for Ukraine in the face of Russian aggression, labeling the current situation as a “decisive moment” for the bloc.

During a debate in the European Parliament, Borrell expressed his expectation for Member States to soon approve the use of profits generated from the assets of the Central Bank of Russia, which are immobilized in Europe, to provide military aid to Ukraine. He emphasized the need for these resources to be allocated promptly to aid Ukraine in repelling Russian aggression in the east of the country.

Borrell outlined a proposal to use 3 billion euros of the profits generated by Russian assets to support Ukraine militarily. He stressed the urgency of the situation following Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, stating that Europe must do more to support Ukraine in this critical time.

The EU’s plan involves using 90% of the profits for the European Peace Mechanism to increase military aid to Kyiv, while the remaining 10% will be allocated to strengthen Ukraine’s defense industry. Brussels aims to transfer part of the estimated 3 billion euros as early as July, with a focus on providing continuous support to Ukraine in the long term.

Borrell also highlighted the importance of the United States Congress’s progress in processing a support package for Ukraine, primarily consisting of military aid. He emphasized the necessity of this aid as Russia escalates its attacks in Ukraine, violating international standards and posing a threat to European security.

See also  Woodcutter died hit by a cableway: 4 years and 5 months to the owner

As the situation in Ukraine remains precarious, Borrell warned of the challenges ahead and predicted that Russian President Vladimir Putin will continue to push for further territorial gains in Ukraine. He urged for swift action to bolster support for Ukraine and ensure the morale of Ukrainian troops amid escalating tensions.

In conclusion, Borrell stressed the importance of European strategic responsibility in standing by Ukraine during this critical period and called for a united effort to support the country in its defense against Russian aggression.

(With information from EFE and Europa Press)

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy