Home » Ex-RAF terrorist Klette: The search for accomplices continues | > – News – Lower Saxony

Ex-RAF terrorist Klette: The search for accomplices continues | > – News – Lower Saxony

by admin
Ex-RAF terrorist Klette: The search for accomplices continues |  > – News – Lower Saxony

As of: February 28, 2024 10:22 p.m

A third person was arrested in Berlin on Wednesday in connection with the arrest of the suspected former RAF terrorist Daniela Klette. But it’s not dust or cooking.

That’s what she reports “Hannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung” (HAZ). The search for the two former RAF terrorists Ernst-Volker Staub and Burkhard Garweg, who are still wanted, continues. It is unclear how close the investigators are now on the trail of dust and waste. For “investigative and tactical reasons,” the Lower Saxony State Criminal Police Office (LKA) initially did not provide any further details on Wednesday. Another man who was arrested in Berlin on Tuesday is now free again.

Weapons and explosives found in Klette’s Berlin apartment

Weapons were found on Wednesday in the apartment where former suspected RAF terrorist Daniela Klette was arrested by police investigators on Monday evening. This was confirmed in the evening by a spokeswoman for the Lower Saxony State Criminal Police Office (LKA). The Berliner Zeitung had previously reported on the weapons discovery “The Daily Mirror” reported. The LKA spokeswoman in Hanover said the weapon discovery had nothing to do with the evacuation of the residential building in the Kreuzberg district. The apartment building was evacuated on Wednesday afternoon. Explosives were found in the apartment of suspected RAF terrorist Daniela Klette, emergency services on site confirmed to broadcaster rbb. The police forensic scientists also had to leave the house on Sebastianstrasse. According to eyewitness reports, the explosive ordnance disposal service is said to have recovered an object from Klette’s house. Late in the evening, Berlin police confirmed that the object was a grenade. This was rendered harmless.

Suspected ex-RAF terrorist Daniela Klette remains silent

Investigators discovered the 65-year-old Klette on the 5th floor of the apartment building on Sunday evening and looked for traces there after the arrest. Daniela Klette has been in custody since Tuesday. After the arrest, Klette was first flown by helicopter to Bremen and from there taken to Verden, where she was brought before a judge. Klette did not comment on the matter, said a spokeswoman for the Lower Saxony Ministry of Justice. It remains to be seen whether she will get involved over the next few days and weeks. For security reasons, the authorities did not provide any information about exactly where she was being housed. According to media reports, the 65-year-old is in custody in the Vechta women’s prison.

Videos

3 Min

The makers of “Most Wanted” compared old mugshots with facial recognition software in November. (02/28/2024) 3 mins

Podcast “Legion” already had evidence of burdock in December

The podcast “Legion” from NDR and rbb had already come across a woman in dance groups in Berlin in December 2023 while searching for Daniela Klette. When asked, it turned out that the woman had last been seen there in 2019. However, the podcasters were unable to clarify with certainty whether the photos they found were actually Daniela Klette. The BKA and LKA could also have come across the images – either through their own research or the podcast. It is not yet known whether they led to Klette’s discovery. According to the LKA, the decisive tip that led to Klette’s arrest came from the public in November 2023.

See also  Sweden, the country that launched the first flying ferry

The second person arrested was also not an RAF suspect

The police had been searching for Daniela Marie Luise Klette as well as 69-year-old Ernst-Volker Staub and 55-year-old Burkhard Garweg for more than 25 years. The search for the two men continues. A man arrested on Tuesday in connection with the search for the ex-RAF trio has now been released. “There is no doubt that it is not one of the two criminals who are still on the run,” the LKA announced on Wednesday morning. The last time there was a false alarm in this context was ten days ago: on a regional train to Wuppertal, a man was mistakenly mistaken for Ernst-Volker Staub.

Videos

45 Min

Investigating authorities and ministries inform about the arrest of the suspected ex-RAF terrorist on February 27, 2024. 45 min

Arrest warrant from the Federal Prosecutor’s Office remains in force

Daniela Klette is in custody for, among other things, several suspected robberies. There is also an arrest warrant against her from the Federal Prosecutor’s Office in Karlsruhe: for causing an explosive explosion and attempted murder in crimes in the early 1990s. This arrest warrant remains in force, a spokeswoman for the authority said on Wednesday morning. Klette is suspected of being involved in an explosive attack on the Weiterstadt correctional facility in 1993, as well as in a firearms attack on the US embassy in Bonn in 1991. Traces also suggested that she was involved in the failed anti-terror operation It is said that he was at the crime scene in Bad Kleinen in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania in 1993. The police officer Michael Newrzella and the RAF member Wolfgang Grams were killed in the action. Former RAF terrorist Birgit Hogefeld was arrested.

Pistol magazines and ammunition seized

When the arrest was made, the wanted person was alone in the apartment and did not offer any resistance. According to the LKA, her identity was confirmed based on fingerprints. According to neighbors, the 65-year-old is said to have lived in Berlin for 20 years under the name Claudia. In order to earn money, she is said to have given private tutoring in mathematics. During the search of Klette’s apartment on Tuesday, two pistol magazines and ammunition were seized, among other things. The associated weapon has not yet been found, according to investigators.

See also  Mustard and mustard oils: This spicy food is so healthy | > - Guide

Is a leniency program an option?

Prosecutor Clemens Eimter Bäumer said on Tuesday that a leniency rule could also be an option for Klette. The prerequisite is that it provides information that leads to the arrest of the wanted suspected accomplices, Staub and Garweg. Authorities accuse the trio of attempted murder and a series of attempted and completed aggravated robberies between 1999 and 2016. According to the information, the crime scenes are in Lower Saxony and North Rhine-Westphalia. The judiciary in Verden is investigating the three, among other things, for serious robberies on money transporters in Wolfsburg, in the Diepholz district and in the Wolfenbüttel district. The trio, who have been on the run for more than 30 years, are supposed to use the raids to finance their underground lives.

AUDIO: RAF expert: “Daniela Klette will probably follow the rule of silence” (5 min)

Interior Minister Behrens emphasizes the performance of the investigators

Lower Saxony’s Interior Minister Daniela Behrens spoke of the arrest as a “milestone”.

Lower Saxony’s Interior Minister Daniela Behrens described the arrest on Tuesday as a “milestone in German criminal history.” For the police in Lower Saxony, it is “indisputably one of the greatest manhunt successes of the past decades,” said the SPD politician. Justice Minister Kathrin Wahlmann (SPD) also praised the work of the investigative authorities. “No matter how long ago the crimes took place, the perpetrators can never be sure,” said Wahlmann. The investigative authorities never let up. This is an important sign for the victims who are now finally receiving justice. The Minister of Justice was confident that after Klette’s arrest, the two other accused would also be caught.

AUDIO: RAF expert: Don’t overestimate the Burdock arrest (7 min)

Terror group RAF: Who was the “third generation”?

The trio Klette, Garweg and Staub were part of the so-called third generation until the Red Army Faction (RAF) was dissolved in 1998. About the different generations of the terrorist group, journalist and RAF expert Stefan Aust said on ZDF’s “heute journal” on Tuesday evening that the second generation tried to free the first from prison. “When that didn’t work, there was the third generation, and they did one thing: they simply committed murder. They simply shot people or set traps for them.” According to the Federal Prosecutor’s Office, 10 of the RAF’s 34 murders were carried out by the third generation.

See also  HSV separates from coach Walter - Polzin has “absolute trust” | > - Sports

The ex-RAF trio has been suspected to be in Lower Saxony since 2006

  • April 7/8, 2009: Theft of a vehicle from a parking lot on Brandenburger Straße in Osnabrück.
  • January 2, 2015: Robbery at a “Kaufland” market in Osnabrück
  • End of 2014 and beginning of 2015: Purchase of the later crime vehicles for the crime in Groß Mackenstedt (Diepholz district). The buyer called himself Michael Jansen, came several times on foot and paid in cash.
  • June 6, 2015: Attempted murder/attempted aggravated robbery in Groß Mackenstedt. The getaway vehicle was parked three kilometers away from the Groß-Ippener junction.
  • September 2015: Purchase of a blue Ford Focus in Ronnenberg (Hannover region).
  • November 2015: Purchase of a green VW Golf Variant in Celle. The buyer always showed up on foot and paid in cash. He called himself Robert Hagen.
  • December 28, 2015: Robbery on a cash-in-transit truck at the Real market in Wolfsburg-Nordsteimke. The perpetrators fled in a blue Ford Focus with a Wolfsburg license plate. A green Golf Variant with a Wolfsburg license plate was left at the crime scene. The Ford Focus was found the following day without a license plate and covered with a camouflage net in a forest in Volkmarsdorf.
  • April 22, 2016: License plate theft in Diekholzen (Hildesheim district).
  • May 7, 2016: Robbery at a Rewe store in Hildesheim. The getaway vehicle, the VW Polo, was found without a license plate ten kilometers away in a forest between the towns of Ottbergen and Wöhle on the day of the crime.
  • June 25, 2016: Robbery on a cash-in-transit truck in Cremlingen (Wolfenbüttel district). The crime vehicles used were a silver Ford Mondeo with double license plates and a blue Opel Corsa with a false license plate.

Further information

15 Min

The news for the north: Arrest of ex-RAF terrorist Daniela Kette / “Turnover”: What has happened in two years? 15 minutes

Its origins lie in the ’68 movement. Then the RAF develops into the most brutal terrorist group in the republic. After almost 30 years, it disbanded in 1998. (02/27/2024) more

From the 1970s onwards, terrorist attacks by the RAF kept the Federal Republic in suspense and there were deaths. In the “German Autumn” of 1977 the situation escalated. (02/27/2024) more

The Verden public prosecutor’s office has confirmed investigations. Garweg and two other RAF members went into hiding. (03/31/2023) more

This topic in the program:

Hello Lower Saxony | 02/28/2024 | 19:30 o’clock

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy